Amid nuclear talks, Iran drops demand to remove IRGC from US terror list

Iran has dropped its apparent precondition for reviving the 2015 nuclear deal that the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) be removed from the US State Department’s list of foreign terrorist organizations, CNN reported.

A senior Biden administration official quoted by the outlet revealed that Iran’s response earlier this week to a draft nuclear deal proposed by the EU made no mention of Tehran’s previously tough stance on the IRGC.

“The current version of the text, and what they require, removes it,” the official said. “So if we’re closer to an agreement, that’s why.”

The Islamic Republic has also dropped its request to delist several IRGC-linked companies, the official added.

Another source said CNN that although a deal was “closer than it was two weeks ago, the outcome [is] uncertain because some gaps remain. [U.S.] President [Joe] Biden will only endorse a deal that meets our national security interests,” the source said.

According Politics, Biden finalized the decision to keep the IRGC on the US terrorism list in April and later made it known to then-Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett in a phone call.

“I commend the US administration, led by my friend President Joe Biden, for the decision to keep the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) in its rightful place – on the Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTO) list. “, Bennett said in a statement. May 24.

The the wall street journal reported on August 17 that a central tenet of Iran’s response to the latest draft proposal is that safeguards be put in place if the United States tries to pull out of the deal again, as it did. did under former President Donald Trump.

“What’s important for Iran is that there are assurances that if the United States suddenly walks away from the deal…it has a price,” said Seyed Mohammad Marandi, media adviser to the Iranian negotiating team, quoted by the newspaper. Log as told.

Comments are closed.