Attacks in Christchurch: coroner opens investigation into shootings

0

In a statement released Thursday afternoon, Chief Coroner Deborah Marshall said she had officially opened a coronary inquest into the attacks on the masjid, after “considering the questions and concerns raised by the families of the Shaheed, the victims and other interested parties “.

“The opening of an investigation allows for a more in-depth investigation into the causes and circumstances of the deaths resulting from the attacks,” Marshall said. “It also allows a coroner to make recommendations or comments that could prevent similar deaths. [from] happens in the future.

“It should be noted that an inquest must be opened before an inquest (a court hearing where the coroner hears witnesses in person) can take place, but no decision has yet been made as to whether a investigation will take place and in what form it might take. “

She said as she steps down as Chief Coroner, Coroner Brigitte Windley will be assigned to the inquest.

“Coroner Windley is a very experienced Wellington-based coroner who was appointed to the Coroner’s Court in 2015 and has conducted numerous complex inquests.

“She will continue to work with me until I postpone the inquest and she becomes the coroner in charge. The processes I have already put in place in this inquest will not change.

“The Coroner’s Court will ensure that Shaheed families, victims and interested parties continue to be involved in the investigative process, that the many people and communities affected by this tragedy find answers to lingering questions and that deceased people are given a voice. “

Australian Brenton Tarrant was sentenced to life in prison last year without parole for carrying out the attacks. He pleaded guilty to all counts – 51 murders, 40 attempted murders and one count of terrorist attack.

A royal commission of inquiry into the attack found no failures within government agencies that would have detected the individual’s planning and preparation. However, things could change – especially in the areas of security and intelligence, according to the report.

The Royal Commission concluded in its findings that the concentration of counterterrorism resources on the threat of extremist Islamist terrorism was “inappropriate”.

He revealed that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) had “decided to focus its meager counterterrorism resources on the current threat of extremist Islamist terrorism.”

When the report was released in December, the government agreed to implement all 44 recommendations.


Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.