Gorakhnath temple attack accused of ‘contact with ISIS’: UP Police

The accused had previously been incarcerated in Gorakhpur prison after being taken into custody.

Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh:

Accused in Gorakhnath temple attack case had contact with fighters and sympathizers of banned terrorist organization Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), additional director general Prashant Kumar said of Police (Law and Order), Uttar Pradesh Police.

Mr Kumar on Sunday shared excerpts from the UP Anti-Terror Squad (UP ATS) investigation into the Gorakhnath temple case where accused Ahmad Murtaza Abbasi tried to force his way into the premises of the temple on April 3 and attacked the police on duty. personnel with a sharp weapon.

Mr. Kumar informed that the accused intended to carry out a major operation after snatching the weapon.

“He carried out a deadly lone wolf attack at the south gate of the Gorakhnath temple and attempted to snatch the gun from the on-duty security guards. His intention was to carry out a big operation after snatching the gun,” he said. he declared.

During its investigation, the counter-terrorism brigade analyzed various devices and social media identifiers possessed by the accused.

“After investigating the accused Ahmad Murtaza Abbasi by UP ATS, an analysis of data from several of his electronic devices, his various social media accounts like Gmail, Twitter, Facebook and e-wallets was conducted,” said the police officer.

“The accused, through his bank accounts, sent approximately 8.5 lakh Indian Rupees to support ISIS terrorist activities through organizations linked to ISIS supporters in different countries in Europe and America. He sent various weapons – AK47, M4 carbine and other missile technology, via the Internet,” he added.

Sharing the accused’s criminal background, the ADG said: “He was arrested by Bengaluru Police in 2014 for having had a relationship with ISIS propaganda militant Mehdi Masroor Biswas. He was influenced by terrorist organizations, radical preachers and promoters of ISIS terrorism”.

The accused was questioned in detail by the ATS during seven days in police custody since Tuesday morning. He was transferred to Lucknow after an ATS special court in the state capital granted seven days custody for further questioning.

The accused was previously held in Gorakhpur Jail after being held in police custody for 14 days following the end of his custody on April 16.

(Except for the title, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

Comments are closed.