Iran to welcome 30 injured Afghans for treatment after Kandahar terror attack
Iran is due to receive a group of Afghan nationals who were injured in last week’s terror attack on a Shia mosque in the southern city of Kandahar.
Kandahar officials said up to 30 Afghans who were in critical condition following the claimed Daesh attack on the Bibi Fatima mosque were being flown to Iran for treatment.
“The process is underway in coordination with the Islamic Republic of Iran,” officials said.
At least 47 people were killed and more than 80 injured on Friday after an explosion inside the Shia mosque in the southern Afghan city.
The explosion came a week after another Shiite mosque in the northern Afghan town of Kunduz was the target of a bomb attack during Friday prayers, killing at least 150 dead and more than 200 injured.
Both tragedies were claimed by a local affiliate of the terrorist group Daesh Takfiri, which has a long history of attacks against the Shiite minority in Afghanistan.
Iran’s embassy condemned the attacks in a tweet, saying, âWe hope the Taliban leadership will take decisive action against these evil terrorist attacks. “
Iran has also sent humanitarian aid to people injured in recent terrorist attacks on mosques in the Afghan cities of Kunduz and Kandahar.
The terrorist attacks came after the Taliban said they saw Daesh as a “puzzle” rather than a “threat”, adding that the Takfiri group lacks popular support in Afghanistan and would certainly be “suppressed” very soon. .
The Taliban seized power in Afghanistan in mid-August, as the United States was in the midst of a chaotic withdrawal of its troops from the country. The group announced the formation of an interim government on September 7.
The Taliban first ruled Afghanistan from 1996 to 2001, when the United States invaded the country and overthrew the Taliban-led government under the pretext of fighting terrorism following the September 11 attacks in the United States. United.