Terrorist attacks on the rise in parts of Yemen despite UN-brokered truce



The number of attacks carried out by terrorist groups against pro-government southern troops has increased in various parts of war-torn Yemen despite a recent UN-brokered truce.

In the turbulent southern province of Abyan, militants from the Yemen-based branch of al-Qaeda launched a large-scale attack and targeted a checkpoint manned by newly recruited security belt forces in the coastal district of Ahwar.

“Al-Qaeda militants used heavy weapons, including grenades, and attacked the southern security belt forces from different directions, killing at least 21 soldiers and injuring others,” it said on Tuesday. an Abyan local government official told the Xinhua News Agency.

Troops stationed in the area reacted quickly after the attack and engaged in intense clashes with the terrorists, killing eight people, he added.

Hours after the attack, units of local troops carried out a clearance operation targeting terrorists in the area, according to the official.

In a separate incident, a senior military commander from the Southern Transitional Council (STC) was shot dead by a sniper from the Iranian-backed Houthi rebel militia in the neighboring southern province of Lahj.

“Hadar Al-Shawahity, commander of the 4th military division, was inspecting his forces stationed on the Yafea frontline when a Houthi sniper targeted him with his bodyguards despite the ongoing truce,” said an Aden-based STC official.

“Coordinated treacherous attacks targeting our forces in the southern regions will not prevent us from continuing to fight against terrorist groups, including the Houthis and elements affiliated with the Muslim Brotherhood.”

The current truce took effect on April 2 and was renewed for two months on June 2, then extended for another 60 days on August 2.

Although the truce has been largely held, there has recently been an upsurge in terrorist attacks against security forces in southern Yemen, as the country’s newly formed Presidential Council (PLC), backed by the US-led coalition Saudi Arabia has begun deploying forces in the oil-rich Shabwa province and other nearby areas.

Yemen’s presidential council now faces a wide range of difficult political and security challenges, ranging from terrorist groups to the Iran-backed Houthi militia and the recent rebellion staged by the Muslim Brotherhood-affiliated Islah party in various regions. of the poorest country in the Arab world.

“Terrorist groups and the Iran-backed Houthis have unified their plans with the Islamist Islah party to destabilize the presidential council and abort all international efforts to achieve permanent peace in the country,” a senior official told Xinhua. Yemeni government official.

Last month, newly recruited southern forces announced the launch of a major anti-terrorist operation dubbed “ARROWS FROM THE EASTERN” across Abyan to combat terrorist groups.

The Yemen-based Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) network is responsible for numerous high-profile attacks on security forces in the country’s southern provinces.

AQAP has exploited years of deadly conflict between the Yemeni government and the Houthi militia to expand its presence in the war-ravaged Arab country.

–IANS

ksk/

(Only the title and image of this report may have been edited by Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear reader,

Business Standard has always endeavored to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that matter to you and that have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your constant encouragement and feedback on how to improve our offering has only strengthened our resolve and commitment to these ideals. Even in these challenging times stemming from Covid-19, we remain committed to keeping you informed and up-to-date with credible news, authoritative opinions and incisive commentary on relevant topical issues.
However, we have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more so that we can continue to bring you more great content. Our subscription model has received an encouraging response from many of you who have subscribed to our online content. More subscriptions to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of bringing you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practice the journalism we are committed to.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

digital editor

Comments are closed.