Trump defends hosting Saudi golf tournament: ‘No one got to the bottom of 9/11’

Former President Trump has defended the Saudi-backed LIV golf tournament scheduled for his golf club in Bedminster, NJ, against calls from families of victims of the 9/11 terror attack to pull out.

“Nobody got to the bottom of 9/11, unfortunately,” Trump told ESPN on Thursday.

“They should have, as for the maniacs who did this horrible thing, to our city, to our country, to the world. So nobody really went there. But I can tell you there are a lot of really great people here today. And we’re going to have a lot of fun and we’re going to celebrate.

The families of victims who died in the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks have condemned Trump for hosting the tournament, scheduled for this weekend at Trump National Golf Club Bedminster, because of Saudi ties to the plotters of the attack. The tournament will take place approximately an hour’s drive from Ground Zero.

“The evidence, Mr. Trump, is clearer than ever. The nation of Saudi Arabia is largely responsible for the deaths of our loved ones and this horrific attack on America. And you know it,” the 9/11 Justice grassroots group written in a letter to Trump earlier this month.

The families implored the former president to “cease all business relations with the regime which was complicit in the murder of our loved ones”.

The 9/11 court also accused golfers of taking “blood money” by participating.

But Trump called the tournament a “big thing” for Saudi Arabia.

“I have known these people for a long time, in Saudi Arabia, and they have been friends for a long time. They’ve invested in a lot of American companies…and frankly, what they’re doing for golf is so great,” he said Thursday on ESPN.

Comments are closed.